Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Weird bumps in the night...

Two strange things happened yesterday:
On our way to the big dog park around 5:30 or so we had trouble getting out of our complex as a man on a motorcycle had evidently been hit by a car. He was face down on the ground with a few people around him helping. I have no idea what actually happened to him and as usual, I'll probably never know. But this sparked a conversation between Glenn and I where I said I sometimes think about being an EMT. I absolutely hated the feeling of helplessness seeing someone hurt. I wanted so badly to run over and say, what's going on? I know how to help! But I cannot. Glenn was surprised at my wanting to do this because he said he didn't see me as a person who could handle a job like that. The more we talked the more I talked myself out of the idea. Perhaps I should simply learn some basic first aid? I'm not so squeemish about blood, but I think if I saw a bone sticking out I might lose it. There's also that whole thing about seeing dead people and not always being able to save lives. That is inconceivable to me.

I have a lot of friends ironically who are becoming doctors or nurses or are in law enforcement and I will always understand why they do what they do. The ability to save a life and the inherent need in us to want to help people is fascinating. For these people to do what they do every day is astonishing and I'm sure it tears away at the soul some days. But I imagine the positives far outweigh the negatives. For today, I understand you and I thank you for doing what you do.

The other thing that happened last night was strange and I'll still not know the answer; around 1:30 a.m. I heard a loud bang (not like a gunshot, but like something slamming into something else) and then a woman screamed. That was it. It was a gut-wrenching scream. I looked out the window, but you can't see much and it's frustrating me not knowing what happened. I scoured the news this morning and nothing on either of these happenings. But there were to deadly car crashes last night. Very sad stuff.

Here's hoping tonight's Steve Miller/Joe Cocker isn't rained upon and no more car crashes occur.

No comments: