Monday, May 19, 2008

China

Like most of the world, I've been following the devastation in China that began one week ago today. Beginning with an earthquake and followed by massive aftershocks and landslides, the death toll is expected to reach 50,000 people.

Because of its proximity, I always think of 9-11 when disasters happen. Thankfully, this is the worst tragedy I can remember in the U.S. as far as number of victims. I say thankfully because
2,752 people is so small in comparison to 50,000. Though I would never be so bold as to say those nearly 3,000 lives are less important, but it's a perspective issue. Because they were Americans, that number means more to most than 50,000.

I can't even begin to imagine what has happened in the past week in China. For the most part I am grateful for this. On the other hand, I can't ignore it and some part of me wants to see the gruesome details and hear the heart-wrenching stories so that I will be forever changed. With a heart more deeply tuned to world suffering and tragedy in the aftermath of the wrath of nature.

In my small world, the earth seems like a relatively safe place. And then I see the awesome and magnificent power it can unleash and I am humbled, feeling ever so much smaller.

A big story coming about now is the shoddy construction of old or hastily built schools that killed many children in 6,900 classrooms. Can you even comprehend the number of children? In one town, one in seven people was dead. As I think about the floor I work on, I imagine one out of every seven people being gone and it is unbelievable.

In addition, it is estimated that 5 million people are now homeless in China. When I think of Hurricane Katrina and the devastation it left here, it is almost something I am just now able to grasp. But 5 million? No. I cannot even begin.

God bless those affected and the survivors who have a long road ahead.

No comments: